There are lots of ways to get involved at Hawthorne Valley Farm and we welcome your inquiries!
Please note: To apply for any of the following positions at Hawthorne Valley, please complete a Hawthorne Valley Application for Employment and email a signed copy along with your resume to the contact listed in the specific job description.
Posted June 7, 2017: Hawthorne Valley Farm is looking for a Dairy Herd/Livestock Manager to manage and grow this dynamic enterprise, central to the success of our 900-acre Biodynamic® farm. This position is part of a five-member management team at Hawthorne Valley Farm.
We are looking for candidates with a passion for organic, grass-based dairying, at least three years experience with a successful track record and an interest in biodynamics. The candidate will also be a team player, an active learner, a good interpersonal communicator and self-starter, be practiced at professional farm record keeping (including organic and Biodynamic certification), enjoy collaboration with and mentoring of several farm apprentices.
This is a full-time position with full Hawthorne Valley Association employee benefits and on farm housing.
Please direct all inquiries and applications to Steffen Schneider.
There are no part-time positions at this time.
Internships refer to fixed-length opportunities.
Hawthorne Valley Farm Creamery Internship
Summary: This internship position is within Hawthorne Valley Farm’s dairy operation that makes a wide range of raw and pasteurized dairy products. The internship is 20 hours/week during the length of the summer camp.
Essential Internship Duties:
- Focused time spent on affinage, the care of the cheese after it has been made.
- Assist with numerous cheese makes and various processing responsibilities in the creation of creamery products, including but not limited to alpine, ricotta, quark, cheddar and Bianca cheese, yogurt, buttermilk and raw milk.
- Learn and execute Good Manufacturing Practices around cleanliness and sanitation.
- Direct and manage small groups of campers on specific tasks in the creamery.
- Order fulfillment for all creamery products.
This position requires strong attention to detail, preferably someone with a food background in either service or production. The work is physical and hours are early.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Sanitation is of the highest importance
- Basic knowledge of science/chemistry a big help
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Time management skills and the ability to multi-task
Apprenticeships refer to fixed-length opportunities in the realm of food production and food enterprise. This currently includes traditional vegetable and livestock apprenticeships. In the future, we will be offering structured learning opportunities in the bakery, creamery, and sauerkraut cellar. Current opportunities include:
Farm Learning Positions 2016
Please visit the Farm Learning Program page for the most up-to-date information on available positions and position descriptions.
Summer Camp Managers, Educators, Specialists and Dining Hall Staff
We’re hiring! For information on available summer camp counselor positions, please click here.