Full Time Program and Field Camp Manager
PBLC Program and Field Camp Manager
The mission of the Hawthorne Valley Farm Place Based Learning Center is to inspire, strengthen and transform the connection between people and the living land. We seek to provide opportunities to children and adults for place-based, artistic experiences within the context of a working biodynamic farm, and to offer professional education in sustainable agriculture to those who choose farming as a vocation.
Within our children’s programs we teach and guide all who participate by supporting the objectives of Waldorf Education begun by Rudolf Steiner. We foster respect for the earth, interdependence, responsibility, and social consciousness. Our goal is to help the children in these programs to become self-motivated individuals who approach the world around them with openness and an awareness of community and the environment.
Each staff member is asked to help create a professional environment which encourages respect, honesty and trust amongst all employees and also offers the highest degree of service to participants in the Place Based Learning Center programs. Employees are asked to maintain the program image as an ethical and positive place to work while exemplifying the mission statement.
- To manage with the support of other program managers all educational activities related to the residential and day children’s programming for the Hawthorne Valley Farm Place Based Learning Center
- To implement, create and manage all Field Camp activities and its staff
- Reports to Place Based Learning Center Senior Director
- Reports to Summer Camp Director
- Supervises Field Camp Counselors
- Works collaboratively with all members of the HVF Place Based Learning Center and other co-workers at HVA
- Develop and implement farm-based educational activities and programs for children for the Place Based Learning Center in collaboration with other managers.
- Develop and implement appropriate curriculum for all programs based on the princinples of biodynamics and Waldorf education
- Demonstrates knowledge of biodynamic agriculture, basic animal husbandry, horticultural and craft skills and participates in implementation of programs that are developed.
- Ensure the safe operation of all farm-related educational activities
- Help to maintain care for all small animals that are involved in programming with the help of other staff
- Hire, train and supervise all field camp counselors
- Develop field camp curriculum and activities for children ages 12 to 16 with the support of other camp managers
- Implement Field Camp curriculum with Field Camp counselors
- Responsible for communications with parents of campers and the camp nurse when required.
- Is responsible for adhering to all health and safety regulations as per NYS Department of Health
- Basic animal husbandry and gardening skills
- Strong knowledge and experience with Summer Camps
- Experience working with children ages 8 to 16
- Skills or interest in farm-based crafts
- Strong knowledge of Waldorf education and Biodynamic agriculture
- Organizational skills
- Administrative skills
- First aid/CPR certification and Lifeguard certification is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- High competence with basic computer skills such as Microsoft Office and email
- Demonstrated interpersonal competence
- Ability to supervise a diverse staff
- Ability to create, plan, organize, and carry out daily and special programming
- Love of children and an ability to engender respect for others while maintaining an open and caring attitude
- Ability and experience working with children ages 8 to 16 in a hands-on environment
- Willingness to collaborate with others
- Flexibility and an open attitude to new ideas
Hours and Type of Employment
- Full time management salaried position with benefits
- 40 hours per week – more during summer camp
To apply for a Program Manager position, please send your application documents to PBLC Director Rachel Schneider. The subject of your email should be your full name and the position that you are applying to (example: James Smith, Program Manager)
Alternately, you may post your documents for this positions to: Hawthorne Valley Farm c/o Main House, 327 County Route 21C, Ghent, NY 12075.FOLLOW USSHARING