Hawthorne Valley farm is a diversified, Biodynamic® farm in upstate New York. Our farm spans more than 500 acres of woodlands and rolling hills, open fields and meadows, and flowing creeks and streams. We lease an additional 300 acres in the area. At the heart of the farm is the closed herd of 60 grass-fed cows which, to a large degree, provides the pulse and rhythm for the farming operations. The cows furnish the milk for our Creamery and provide, along with the other farm animals, the basis of our compost, which ensures a continuous, regenerative cycle by building the soil fertility of our pastures and vegetable fields.
The farm includes:
- A 60-cow dairy herd which supplies milk to the Creamery
- 10 acres of vegetables which support a 300-member CSA
- The 2-acre Corner Garden which provides produce for departments and programs across campus
- 20 pigs who eat the “waste” whey from the Creamery
- 40 chickens that provide eggs for the On-Farm Learning programs
The six full-time farmers and eight apprentices work hard year-round to tend the plants and animals of the farm, in addition to monitoring the health of the whole farm organism. Please follow this link for brief biographies of our Farmers. Click here to find out about our apprentice opportunities.FOLLOW USSHARING